httpd-users mailing list archives

From Freddie <fred...@madcowdisease.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Bug? 206 partial content logged incorrectly
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:40:53 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:50:37 +1030, Freddie <freddie@madcowdisease.org> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I was just looking over the generated stats for some websites I host, and I
>>noticed some strange results. Several users have used tools such as GetRight
>>to download files in multiple parts, and the log entries for these seem
>>incorrect to me. The actual size of the file is 183,353,344 bytes, but the
>>total of these log entries ends up being several gigabytes. It's my
>>understanding that the byte count field is the bytes transferred for this
>>connection. Any ideas?
>

> No, the byte count in the log is the number of bytes requested, not
> the number transferred.  And many of these "accelerators" (better
> named: bandwidth hoggers) work not by requesting different chunks of
> the file, but rather by making requests for "everything from byte x to
> the end" where byte x changes.  Then they simply drop the connection
> when they have what they want.
>
> More accurate byte counts can be obtained using mod_logio:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_logio.html
>
> Joshua.

This seems a bit strange, to be honest. What is the use of logging the number
of bytes requested if the connection is dropped partway through? Requesting
from byte x to the end does seem like a pretty stupid choice on the part of
the "accelerator" authors, though :|

mod_logio looks a lot more useful, I'll try setting up a custom log format and
smacking AWStats until it behaves. Thanks for the info.

Freddie