httpd-users mailing list archives

From Richard Crawford <rcrawf...@unexmail.ucdavis.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Delivering huge documents
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:02:28 GMT
Noah wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 10:31:21AM -0800, Richard Crawford wrote:
>
>>We're having a problem delivering very large pdf documents to our
>>website users.  I'm not sure that this is something I can address in the
>>httpd configuration, but I've toyed with the TimeOut directive in
>>httpd.conf.  Am I on the right track?
>

> What exactly is the problem and what (if any) effect is this having on
> Apache? =)

Sorry I wasn't clear.  Got interrupted and sent the earlier message off
in a hurry.

We have a document which is a 1.5MB PDF document.  For some of our
visitors, the download seems to stop before the full document is
delivered.  I haven't been able to identify any common issues among the
visitors who are having the problems (though I suspect they're on a
dialup connection).  The PDF itself seems to be have no problems, since
it's delivered just fine over broadband connections.  This issue appears
to be browser-independent as well.  I've also confirmed that the
affected users are using the most recent version of Acrobat Reader as well.

I had wondered if the TimeOut directive in my Apache httpd configuration
might be the culprit; I knew that in earlier versions, if a document was
too large, the TimeOut directive could cause Apache to stop delivering
huge documents if it took longer than the amount of time defined in
TimeOut.  However, we're using Apache 2.0.45, and our TimeOut is set to
twenty minutes.  Just to be on the super-safe side, I set the TimeOut to
two hours, though doing that makes me twitch.

Since we're using Cold Fusion, I also double-checked our timeout
configuration in Cold Fusion.  It is disabled, as I set it up to be; I
enabled it and set it to twenty minutes, but I don't think this will
make a difference.

So, this is annoying me and it's costing us customers.  I've also set my
KeepAliveTimout setting pretty high, but I don't know if that will have
an impact.

So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--
Richard S. Crawford
Programmer III