httpd-users mailing list archives

From James Bannon <james.ban...@ntlworld.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] port already occupied...
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:20:31 GMT
Richard Grove wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm a complete newbie, and so hope that this mail is going to the
> appropriate spot...
>
> Just downloaded Apache2.0.53, and no matter what I do at some point I see:
> ------
> Only one usage of each socket address is mormally permitted... could
> not bind to address 0.0.0.0:8080
> ------
>
> I checked the lists and someone has suggested previously that there is
> probably some app already using this port. How do I find out? How do I
> change that app, or how do I configure apache to listen to some other
> port?
> I want to use it to basically work up and check .php locally.
>
> thanks,
> Richard

There's no network or you have the wrong IP address assigned (0.0.0.0
isn't a valid IP address). Try pinging the localhost and see what
happens (local adapter address 127.0.0.1). If you don't get a reply then
either your adapter set-up is broken (wrong adapter driver?) or there is
something wrong with the adapter itself. If you do get a reply then it
must be your Apache install that's caused the problem.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Jim Bannon.