httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jay Paulson <jpaul...@sedl.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Warning: Documentroot doesn't exist
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:42:17 GMT
>>> With the Fedora Core 3 httpd package?  This is because the SELinux
>>> policy will deny httpd access to any unlabelled files by default.
>>> See:
>>
>> Joe, Do you know if apache puts anything useful in the error log in
>> this case?  If not, it should.  This is becoming a hard-to-diagnose
>> FAQ.
>
> No, nothing more useful; it should give the "Permission denied" error
> message too which would at least give the user a hope in diagnosing the
> problem, I've had that on my todo list for a while.

I wanted to update everyone with what I did in order to get apache and
file permissions to work correctly on my machine.

First I added apache to my 'www' group I created for multiple users to
edit a single file.  Next I chmoded -R g+s /var/www/test which is my
DocumentRoot in apache.

That seems to have solved all my problems with file permissions with
multiple users editing a single file and getting rid of the 403
Forbidden error!  Now all I have got to do is get cgi scripts to work!

Thanks for everyone's help.  I hope this can help someone in the future
:)

jay