httpd-users mailing list archives

From Noah <s...@onastick.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Access_log shows incorrect remote host address
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:04:15 GMT
On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 05:02:42PM -0700, FloorFLUX wrote:

> When you access your webserver, are you using an external IP address?
> If so, It's going to log your hit as coming from your router no matter
> where it's coming from on the lan because your outgoing request is
> going through the router.  If you access it via an internal IP address
> (perhaps that's how you're doing it with the other applications), then
> your request doesn't go through the router, and your internal address
> will be preserved.

Uh...what? If the request is coming from the outside, the logged IP
will, 98+% of the time, be the IP of the client (where 'client' may be a
proxying system of some kind and not /necessarily/ a browser). If it's
logging the IP of a /router/ that's really weird. I could see it logging
the IP of a /switch/, depending on the kind of switch it is; some
switches and pseudoswitches (things like Wincom (which no longer exists,
I believe) and Netscalar gear) can be configured to terminate an incoming
request and initiate a new TCP session to the server (with the switch's IP
as the source IP); quite possible some firewalls may do this as well;
haven't played with any, but they may well be out there.

Unless I'm missing something obvious (hardly the first time, and I'm not
a routergeek by trade), the above explanation is bogus.

What kind of a router are you dealing with? What's your network topology
look like (what does a packet have to do to get from the Internet(tm) to
your webserver?)

--n

--
<huey> dd of=/dev/fd0 if=/dev/flippy bs=1024
<huey> ^^^ Making Flippy Floppy