httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Anthony Browne" <aabro...@mail.widernet.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Default document nehavior
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:17:49 GMT
            We have a collection of mirrored web sites that we distribute to schools in developing
countries where Internet access is limited or not available. I'm looking into different proxies
that provide off-line browsing support to see if they can be used to let students type in
a URI and if it's in the collection it will be served as if they were on the Internet.

         I would like to know how Apache responds while in offline mode to a request for http://www.foo.com/
with no default page specified versus a request where the default page is included in the
request as in http://www.foo.com/index.html. It would make sense to me that the second request
would work if the resource was in the cache already. But say I use an address without specifying
a file. Does Apache keep track of what files in it's cache are the default document for some
address?

         I understand that normally the web server is configured to serve certain pages as
a default document or directory index page. When such a page does not exist in the requested
directory path the server will respond with a directory listing or a directory listing denied.
It seems to me that it would not be possible to define ahead of time what documents are to
be served as default, if they exist, in an offline cache and that some other technique would
need to be used.

Thanks,

Anthony