httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jim" <j...@nucleus.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.52 French HTML Pages
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:15:03 GMT
I changed the charset to iso-8859-1 and still nothin  viewing source I can
see the  é  just not via the web browser.  this also affects a forum that is
installed on an actual domain/

Jim
----- Original Message -----
From: "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Boyle@swx.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 12:35 AM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.52 French HTML Pages

This is a content problem. You are using proprietary characters in the
content and have the charsets mixed up:

- the meta tag defines a charset of windows-1252.
- the HTTP Content-Type header says: "text/html; charset=UTF-8"
- the content contains escape sequences, eg: \351 = é.

Replace the accented characters with HTML entities (eg, é = &eacute;) or
use charset iso-8859-1.

Generally, it's a bad idea to insist on a proprietary font in a
web-page. Only those clients which happen to have the font will be able
to render the page.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> (check out http://home.nucleus.com:8080)
>
> I have been beating my head against a wall for 2 days now and its
> starting to hurt <grin>
>
> I am running FC3   Patched uptodate here is my RPM version of httpd
>
> system-config-httpd-1.3.1-1
> httpd-manual-2.0.52-3.1
> httpd-devel-2.0.52-3.1
> httpd-suexec-2.0.52-3.1