httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ralf Glauberman" <rglauber...@michaeli-gymnasium.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Serving a Very Big File
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:12:04 GMT
This has nothing to do with keepalive.
your server should be ok as it is but the one geting the file should use a
download-manager that can resume downloads in case you loose the connection.
you should also create a md5 and verify the file once it is trancfered, you
want to be sure your backup is working, don't you?
you should also consider changing your backup-strategie, there should be an
easier way to save a 4.25 gb file than to transfer it from canada to china,
for example a dvd+r.
Ralf Glauberman

----- Original Message -----
From: Broming plutonium
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 10:37 PM
Subject: [users@httpd] Serving a Very Big File

Hi,
      I created a backup of my windows system yesterday. The backup file is
5 GB in size.
      Now, I've got to get this file off my hard disk and into another
computer so that when my computer fails, I still have the backup file.
      I am thinking about using Apache to serve the 5-gigabyte file (4.25 to
be exact) to someone in China (I live in Canada). Is it possible? I think
the transfer will take at least 3 hours to complete. I want to make sure
that Apache doesn't give any timeouts or anything like that during this
period. I have played with my httpd.conf file, and made several adjustments.
For example, I adjusted KeepAlive On, MaxKeepAliveRequests 0, and:

<IfModule mpm_winnt.c>
ThreadsPerChild 0
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

Is there anything else I should change or adjust? Any suggestions? Thanks!