httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] YAAMUQ (Yet Another Apache Memory Usage Question)
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:25:00 GMT
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:44:51 +0100, Andrea Simonini
<andrea.simonini@gmail.com> wrote:

> Because my custom module is not usign shared memory, I've configured
> the httpd in order to start only one child server. To make it process
> a lot of  requests (and because some web servers are slow) i've
> increased the number of  threads per process from 100 to 256.
> What I see is that the process is grabbing almost the whole address
> space of a process on a 32bit environment (2.7GB on 3GB). Some
> measures taken on my box shows that every thread is allocating 10MB
> !!.
> During my analysis i've found that the memory usage is related to the
> virtual memory, it is not a problem of reserved memory. It seems that
> the server is doing a lot of malloc(s) without using that space.

10MB per apache worker is not an absurdely large amount of space.  It
is common for people to use this much memory if they run large
mod_perl/php/etc scripts.  The core apache modules shouldn't be using
anywhere near that amount, however.

So the first thing to do is to identify exactly what your apache
workers are up to.

Joshua.