httpd-users mailing list archives

From Shankar Unni <shankaru...@netscape.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Apache updates
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:46:52 GMT
Warron French wrote:

> If I am running with an Apache-2.0.xxx rpm from RedHat and a new RPM
> comes out, can I simply do an rpm -i of the new rpm that has been
> released, or do I have to back up lots of directories and files and etc...?

By default, when you "rpm -U" a package, if any of the original files
has been modified from its shipped state, it'll be saved as filename +
".rpmsave" before the new file is put in its place.  I've also sometimes
seen the case where the original modified file is left in place, and the
new file is called filename + ".rpmnew", but I don't know under what
circumstances.

In your case, you just have to preserve the contents of the "conf"
directory somewhere, *just in case*. Then upgrade, and see what you find
there.