httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tony Karakashian <tkarakash...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Reverse proxy not working
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:31:04 GMT
I've solved my problem.  I played around with my config for a while,
and wasn't making much progress. The first thing I discovered was I
needed to add an entry to my proxy server's hosts file pointing it at
the IP for the OWA server for the external name:

external.mydomain.com   192.168.0.2

(As I said before, I have a laptop, and wanted the convenience of
having one link to my mail, inside or outside the network.)

However, on a whim, I decided to see if perhaps OWA was returning
something it shouldn't.  Sure enough when I examined the page source,
I found the following line:

<BASE href="http://external.mydomain.com/exchange/username/">

Note, it's not https.  So, turning it around and thinking OWA was now
the issue, I did a quick search and turned up that when you've got an
OWA server behind an SSL proxy like this, you need to let it know.
This is fixed by simply adding a DWORD value to the registry:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWEB\OWA
SSLOffloaded = 1

Restart IIS after this.  This was not the complete solution, however.
In order for this to work fully, you need to load mod_headers in your
Apache config, and add the following line:

RequestHeader set "front-end-https" "On"

This adds a custom header to the proxy request that lets OWA know the
SSL proxy is on the job.

Sigh.  One task down, four million to go!

-T