httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tony Karakashian <tkarakash...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Configuring
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:36:16 GMT
> > I have read the FAQ's, searched and read other questions that have
> > been asked but the more I read, the more confused and frustrated I
> > become.  I am not what one would call computer/server literate.

That's okay, we've all been there.  It's a serious struggle to get
Apache setup the first time...and the second time...and sometimes the
third... :)  Unfortunately, there's no quickstart guide to let you
know what's important and what's not for at least the basics.  With
this latest install I've done, I've started writing just such a guide
because it shouldn't be necessary to memorize a book in order to start
using a piece of software.

> > I have installed Apache HTTP Server but still cant work out how to
> > configure it for my website that I want to host on my own server.
> > The closest I have come is being able to see all files and logs for
> > my web pages when I bring up my web address.

Sounds like you're 90% there, and you're just missing a DirectoryIndex
line.  This is the directive that tells the server "if the client
didn't specify a particular file to list, assume they want this one
and display it".  I'm assuming you're typing the URL in your browser
as:

http://yourhost.com/

And, then you're getting the directory list, right?  Is there an
index.html file in there?  If it's the default install, there's a lot
of them in there for multiple languages. Apache will pick the right
one when it's requested.  If so, try this URL:

http://yourhost.com/index.html

Did you get a page?  If so, then you need the following line in your
httpd.conf file:

DirectoryIndex index.html

If there's no index.html file in the directory, create a file in your
favorite text editor and just put some text in there.  Don't worry
about using HTML for now, the page will display enough to let you know
everything's working ok.

HTH,
-T