httpd-users mailing list archives

From Vasilios Hoffman <vhoffma...@wesleyan.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] sharing access control and configuration -- restricted to files only?
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:27:34 GMT
Hi,

Apache uses flat text files for configuration.  Access control is
configured through these files.  While authentication can be offloaded to
ldap, sql, or mod_auth_foo, this seems to restrict access control
directives to either files included with the Include directive, or with
the .htaccess files.  In short, all access control has to come from a flat
text file somewhere...

Is this true?  Is there a way to read access control or configuration
directives from another source?

We have a situation where we'd like to be able to manipulate access
control lists as a shared resource, and manipulating flat text files
directly is problematic.  It seems like a reasonable demand, and that
there should be a mod_access_ldap or somesuch.

Any suggestions, pointers, tips, or cases of beer would be most
appreciated... well, other than the "write-it-yourself" response, which is
something I'd consider in my off time but isn't a solution here at work.

Best,

-V Hoffman

p.s.  A cute hack/solution is to replace the .htaccess or necessary files
with a pipe to a daemon that generates the correct directives based on a
sql or ldap lookup.  It's cute, but problematic I would think ;)

Vasilios Hoffman
Unix Administrator
Wesleyan University