httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Avila" <mav...@mich.com>
Subject [users@httpd] A Few Auth Questions and An Educ Needed!
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:13:03 GMT
I have a few questions about authorization on Apache.

First my environment.

Win XP SP2
Apache 2.0.52
PHP 4.3.9

My IP address is via DHCP and updated using a dynamic DNS program. So my IP
address changes constantly (I am on dialup.)

<VirtualHost *:2000>
    ServerAdmin mavila@mich.com
    DocumentRoot /baddebt
    ServerName baddebt.homeip.net
    ErrorLog logs/error.log
    CustomLog logs/access.log common
</VirtualHost>

<Directory /ApacheGroup/Apache2/html/baddebt>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
DirectoryIndex index.php
Options -Indexes
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Password Required"
AuthUserFile /ApacheGroup/Apache2/proxy/security.pwd
#AuthGroupFile /www/passwords/group.file
#AuthDBMUserFile e:\apachegroup\apache2\proxy\security.db
Require user mike travis
</Directory>

When I go to this virtual server as 127.0.0.1 I get prompted for a password.
When I go as baddebt.homeip.net I do not get prompted. I am looking for educ
as much or more than the answers. I want to learn how to do these things so
I am not constantly asking questions and bugging people.

Q1 Why am I not prompted for a password no matter how I get there. It is the
directory that is protected, not the virtual host.

When I get in there I get a Not Authorized message instead of seeing a web
page.

Q2 Why does this happen?

Q3 Under Windows, what user id is the one going into the directories for
Apache and web visitors?

Q4 If I am prompted for a user id and password, will that user id now also
become the "Windows User" on the system? In other words, does that ID also
need a Windows account with that ID?

I'm learning more and more about Apache - slowly but surely. Sadly more
slowly than surely.  But thanks to the good people in the newsgroup who give
an answer and explain it, I am indeed learning and should be able to leave
the nest and fly on my own one of these days!

Thanks everyone!

Mike