httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Hide url into browser
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 09:56:55 GMT

This is a client-side issue. Apache doesn't have any power over what the
browser does with the files it requests. As one poster suggested, you
can obscure your site with frames but, of course, the client will still
need to know the full path to the resource in order to request it. So a
user could still identify the full URL by looking at the frameset
source.

Another (even worse) solution is to convert your site to flash. Then all
the internal resources are coded into th e "movie" that takes ages to
load when you first hit your site.

Be aware that as soon as you do this, you render it impossible for
anyone to bookmark internal pages of your site (users hate this) and
also they lose any concept of navigation based on the address-bar (so
your site navigation better be good).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> like all other pages.