httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Local installation: Start Apache by request only
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:27:41 GMT

Unless you only expect about 1 request per day and your machine is
currently running at 90% load, I'd say that this is a complete waste of
time. It's like having a supermarket that is open only by appointment.

The time it takes apache to start is huge compared to the time it takes
to serve one request. In addition, clients will have to wait for inetd
to fire up apache (several seconds) before it even begins to service
their request. If you have even 1 request every minute (a tiny load),
you'll find your machine is busier and slower to respond to requests
than if you just left apache running.

I just ran top on a idle server (no requests coming in) and there are 12
daemons of 28Mb each using 0.00% CPU. The machine hardly knows they're
there.

If you want to limit resources for apache, look at the various "Max"
directives - that's what they're for.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> However I don't know if Apache2 is made for that (reading
> "upgrading.html"
> in the manual, one reads that "there is currently no MPM
> designed to be
> launched by inetd".
>
> So what can I do? How are you dealing with this?
>
> Thanks for comments
> - michael
> --
> Want support? Please read the list rules first:
> http://typo3.org/1438.0.html

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.