httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] qmailadmin mime type
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 13:58:32 GMT

It is the client that does the "recognising". The best that the server
can do is try to inform the client about the resource being served but
the client can still do whatever it likes with the resource.

The server informs the client by the extension and the mime-type. If all
clients followed the RFC, the mime-type would be authoritative, but some
clients decided they know better and make the rendering decisions based
on the extension. You want to have no extension so can only use the
mime-type. You can't use "AddType" since that requires an extension as
argument. So as alternatives, you could use:

DefaultType - for any files that don't fit other AddType or TypesConfig
directives

ForceType - for all files in a directory

See docs for details.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> I dont find any cleaner solution.
> Would you have some?
>
> ~# file /var/www/cgi-bin/qmailadmin
> /var/www/cgi-bin/qmailadmin: setuid setgid ELF 32-bit LSB executable,
> Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.0, dynamically linked
> (uses shared libs), stripped
>
> --
> ASPO Infogérance       http://aspo.rktmb.org/activites/infogerance
> Unofficial FAQ fcolc   http://faq.fcolc.eu.org/