httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Hide url into browser - Getting OT
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:52:31 GMT
> -----Original Message-----
> From: PMilanese@nypl.org [mailto:PMilanese@nypl.org]
>
> Ewww... Flash is bad... Bad bad bad...

That was precisely my point.

The poster wants to emulate the horrible "functionality" of flash with HTML. I was hoping
he would realise that this is wrongthink and abandon his mad quest...

BTW - I hate Flash with a vengeance. There is a particular performer whom I want to see in
concert and who is about to do a tour. On his website he has a "Tours" page which just says
"No dates yet - check back soon". Now if this was a nice HTML site, I could just bookmark
tours.html and click on it every morning and in about 2 secs I'd know whether the tour dates
were announced or not. However, the entire site is Flash... So, I have to wait about 1 minute
for the homepage to load and the movie to start, then I have to click through three levels
(each loads a new movie) until I get to the tours page. The whole process takes 3 minutes
(I timed it). It is no suprise that in colloquial English the word "flash" is used to describe
something which is outwardly impressive but which has no real substance (flash jewellery,
flash cars etc.) Flash is for presentation, not information.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle