httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Htaccess code to Deny Referrers Spam?
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:01:19 GMT

Are you asking in the context of this particular thread? If so, it is
simply to trigger the RewriteCond that the user wanted to test (so
avoiding having to wait for a "real" request from the web).

Or are you asking what's the point of the Referer in HTTP generally? If
so, it is just one of many optional headers that the client may add to
the request (you can read all about them at
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec5.html#sec5.3). The
Referer header is specifically discussed in
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.36.

To give you a quick digest; its purpose is to tell the server what page
the user was on when he clicked on the link to submit the current
request. This is useful, for example, for finding broken links, auditing
user click-trails and restricting people from hot-linking your images.
One limitation is that the content of the Referer is entirely up to the
client and so it is easy for a dishonest client to spoof the header and
so circumvent any "security" mechanism you might try to build using
this.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Warron French