httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <c...@shire.net>
Subject [users@httpd] /server-status interpretation
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:01:16 GMT
We have a system running and on that system is included an apache
installation running some PHP stuff (and handing off to some WebObjects
apps on another server).

Our server is a FreeBSD 4.9 system.  Apache is apache_1.3.33+ssl_1.55,
PHP is 5.0.3, and it is running post nuke with mysql 4.1.9.  Dual AMD
Athlon MP 2800+ with 2gb RAM.

We are having some issues where response times go to pot once in a
while.  It appears to me that the various child apache processes, when
the total RAM usage of all of them is taken into consideration, are
exhausting physical memory and starting to swap out or cause excessive
swapping.  We have been experimenting with various "MaxClients" to try
and limit it so it does not go into the over-swapping mode that grinds
the system to a halt.  Somewhere around 130-160 seems to be where the
limit lies.

However, sometimes we get hiccups that do not seem to be related to
this reaching the limits of RAM.  I have enabled mod_status and looking
at the generic /server-status results, it shows various K _ W etc
status for each child process. I am trying to get a better
understanding of exactly what it means to be in a W state.  It seems
that when we have these hiccups, most child processes are in W state.

What does the W state mean in detail, and does it indicate anything
when most of the child processes show W state (repeatedly).

Thanks
Chad