httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Gatwood <dgatw...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Re[2]: [users@httpd] Domain access
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:16:44 GMT
On Feb 22, 2005, at 8:17 AM, Bruce Therrien wrote:

> Hi David,
> (if you're still listening)
>
> Thanks for your reply......
>
> What we have is a 2 server setup in an office network
> in Quebec City, Canada. One is a Mac G4, and the other
> is an IBM.
> They were originally set up to just host our own domains
> for a music project we are working on.
> To help out a friend, we put ez-alliance.org on the IBM
> server as a virtual host.
> Please keep in mind that the BIND DNS server is NOT
> running on the IBM. It seems to not make a difference if
> it's running or not.
> We use No-IP.com as the dynamic redirection service for
> all our domains, along with a Linksys router in the office
> where my partner is. He uses the G4 for internet access,
> but cannot "see" the ez-alliance domain.

That domain is working fine from here.

First, assuming the G4 is running Mac OS X, Mac OS X
can do some caching behind your back.  It has annoyed
the heck out of me on multiple occasions when testing
server transitions.  There's probably a better way to flush
its cache, but I'm pretty sure rebooting should do the trick.

It could also be that your Mac is doing DHCP from the
Linksys router and that the router may be acting as
a caching DNS server.  I've seen such things before.
One way to clear its cache is to power cycle the router,
though that might give you a different IP number and
cause other issues.

If your system is configured in that way, it is probably
best to configure the Mac OS X box to run a caching-only
BIND and in the Network preferences pane, set the
name server address to 127.0.0.1.

Later,
David