httpd-users mailing list archives

From Neil Bates <mrgadget.t...@mailnull.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Password Auth not working
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:47:19 GMT
Hi,
First off - let me warn you I am a 100% newbie and learning as I go.

My issue is that I have Apache 2.0.52 all setup and working fine on a
Windows XP machine, with the exception of the password protection I
require. It simply does not request a password.
FYI I am using Apache to rewrite my Tivo's web server (Tivo is basically a
linux box), the idea being to protect this while allowing remote connectivity.

I have created a password file and tried placing it in the apache
directory, the apache/bin dty and the root directory.
The script I have added to the httpd.conf file is as follows:

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.5>
ServerAdmin your@email.address
DocumentRoot /var/www/
ServerName myserver.no-ip.org

<Directory *>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "tivo"
AuthUserFile c:/password
require valid-user
</Directory>

RewriteEngine on
RewriteLog "c:/website/rewrite.log"
RewriteLogLevel 1
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://192.168.1.3/$1 [P]

</VirtualHost>

Where 192.168.1.5 is the XP machine running Apache, and 192.168.1.3 is the
Tivo.
I haven't changed the documentroot above as I am not serving anything
directly, and as noted, this script serves the page I want, just without
the password.
As far as I can tell this should request a password...

Any ideas for help ?