httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <c...@shire.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] separation of services
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:11:07 GMT

On Feb 9, 2005, at 12:09 PM, Jean-Marc Lachaine wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2005, at 1:30 PM, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
>
>> You can use VMWare, UML, or Xen, or other virtualized machine
>> solutions
>> on Linux, and "jails" on FreeBSD for example.  This would allow you to
>> set up the dbms in a separate virtual machine, perhaps on a private IP
>> address, on the same HW.
>
> Please point to information on FreeBSD "jails" if you can. I would be
> interested in learning more.

It is not a true virtual server with a separate kernel.  It is a very
glorified and much safer chroot.  If you have access to a FreeBSD
system, type "man jail" .  You can also go to www.freebsd.org and look
at the man pages there or at the docs and handbook.  Lastly, google is
your friend.  I don't have a specific doc myself -- I do and did what I
am suggesting you do.  man jail  is pretty informative.

Chad