httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andrea Simonini <andrea.simon...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] YAAMUQ (Yet Another Apache Memory Usage Question)
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:44:51 GMT
Hello to all,

I'm new to this malinig list so forgive me if  I'm not well aligned
with the "netiquette", and i'm new to apache too.
I'm usign an apache web server as a proxy. I'm running it under RedHat AS 3.0.
My box has 2.5 GB RAM and 2 IntelXeon 3.06GB.

Here follows the output of  httpd -V.

Server version: Apache/2.0.49
Server built:   May 24 2004 10:20:55
Server's Module Magic Number: 20020903:7
Architecture:   32-bit
Server compiled with....
 -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/experimental/threadpool"
 -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
 -D APR_HAS_MMAP
 -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
 -D APR_USE_PROC_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
 -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
 -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/mafe"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/mafe/bin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
 -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"

Because my custom module is not usign shared memory, I've configured
the httpd in order to start only one child server. To make it process
a lot of  requests (and because some web servers are slow) i've
increased the number of  threads per process from 100 to 256.
What I see is that the process is grabbing almost the whole address
space of a process on a 32bit environment (2.7GB on 3GB). Some
measures taken on my box shows that every thread is allocating 10MB
!!.
During my analysis i've found that the memory usage is related to the
virtual memory, it is not a problem of reserved memory. It seems that
the server is doing a lot of malloc(s) without using that space.

Now the question is : Is there any configuration parameter, or compile
option  i can use in order to decrease this memory usage ?
Otherwise I'll be forced to change the kernel to hugemem.

Thank you very much

Andrea