httpd-users mailing list archives

From Phil Endecott <spam_from_apache_us...@chezphil.org>
Subject [users@httpd] (again) Error pages redirect to SSL?
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:20:23 GMT
Dear All,

I asked about this at the weekend but no-one seems to have any ideas.
Surely someone can offer a suggestion?  Thanks!

I have an Apache 2.0.53 server using the Debian packages.  A while ago I
experimented with SSL and since then have noticed odd behaviour with
error pages: it looks as if the server tries using HTTPS when it cannot
find the page otherwise.

The first thing that I noticed was that the "404" and similar error
pages mentioned port 443 rather than port 80 in their footers.  Then I
noticed that when redirecting from "directory" to "directory/" it would
seem to change over to SSL, leading to a "do you trust this self-signed
certificate" dialog on the browser.  Today I installed mod_speling and
when it corrects a typo it redirects to the HTTPS version of the page.

My feeling is that there must be somewhere in the configuration where
the order of port numbers, or similar, matters.  But I haven't found
anything obvious.  Can anyone offer any suggestions?  Currently my
virtual host declaration starts <VirtualHost *:443 *:80> and I have
tried reversing the order of those numbers.   [I'm aware of the issues
about virtual hosts and SSL.]

Here are a couple of links to try if you want to witness the effects:

http://treefic.com/doesnotexist.html  - note 443 in footer
http://treefic.com/imdex.html         - mod_speling corrects "imdex"

I'm not really using the mod_ssl stuff and could just disable it, but
I'd like to understand what is going on.

Thanks,

Phil.