httpd-users mailing list archives

From jdyke <jd...@azimapower.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Log File Size
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:54:20 GMT

>>>Hi all,
>>>      My computer runs Apache 2.0.52 on Windows ME. I haven't finished building
my site, so I haven't promoted it yet.
>>>      I realize that there might be a size limit with my log files. When the logs
get to a certain size, they are locked up for editing by Apache, and I could only review them
using Microsoft Word. When the logs get to 100 pages long, Apache completely stops logging.
>>>      When I promote my site, I am going to get visitors. Any visitor who actually
uses my website will make at least 20 requests, which will be enough to fill a page. If my
access log could only log 10 users, that wouldn't be very useful, would it?
>>>       Please help. How do I make it so that the Apache keeps on logging no matter
how big the logs get? In other words, how do I cancel the size limit for the log files?

How large are these files when apache stops writing, in M or G not pages.  I
hope you're not actually going to host a live site on windows ME?  The file size
limit is most likely coming from Windows ME restricting filesize, not apache's
ability to write to larger files.  On *nix systems, i've seen apache logs easily
~2G before there was a problem...and that problem only arose because that was
the limit of the file size on the filesystem.

Jeff