httpd-users mailing list archives

From Laura Vance <van...@winfreeacademy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Favorite Linux Distribution
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:45:12 GMT
Hello,

I'm replying to the thread in general, not one specific post, so I
removed all references to the other material to hopefully prevent hard
feelings.... but since this is an Internet mailing list, I'm sure
someone will feel that I have slighted them.

Running an X server with a GUI front end does not hurt performance of a
system unless you're concerned about less than 1% of the overall CPU
performance.  My highest used system typically average less than 25% of
normal CPU usage so 1% isn't hurting anything when there's still 75%
available.  That system is running apache as an app server getting over
25,000 accesses per day.  My other support servers are usually sitting
around 5-10% CPU usage.  If you look at KSysGuard (in the KDE
environment), you will see that X doesn't use much of the system speed
at all.  Now, if you have all kinds of bells and whistles set up like
mousepedometer or something else that needs realtime feedback from your
GUI, then it's the program, not the GUI itself.  I run the X system on
my Linux servers primarily to have a graphical representation of the
server health (CPU usage, memory usage, network traffic, etc), because
my supervisors are more greatly influenced by a graph instead of a set
of numbers.  As an example, I used the graphs to show why we needed to
double our Internet pipe size.  Plus, at a glance from a distance, I can
see exactly what the system is doing.

As for stability, none of my servers crash because of the X server
running.  X isn't even the highest memory usage program running.  My
servers only go down if I take them down (such as building power failed
and I need to take the servers down before the UPS loses power).  Or I
didn't test a cgi program properly, and it turns into a runaway
process... and yes, this would kill the machine even if I wasn't running
the X server.  The servers here regularly stay up for months at a time
with no issues whatsoever.  And in the 3 years that they've been online,
they have never come down because of the X server.

The third main argument seems to be security issues.  When I run as an
unprivileged user, I cannot get into anything that requires special
permissions.  When I try to run something that would impact the system
instead of just my portion of it, I have to enter the root password.  If
a GUI is less secure, it's because the person running the system gave
permissions to the user running the GUI beyond normal unprivileged
rights.  Then when you run as the root user, it's the same risk wether
you're using a GUI or shell environment.  The only times that any of my
servers have been hacked, it was because of the SSL version that I was
running in support of my apache installation.  Again, this would've
happened even if I hadn't installed the X system at all.

I understand that this may not be the case for everyone, and everyone's
mileage may vary, but if you have a server running the X system it does
not automatically mean that the system is less stable.  What you do with
the X system is what makes it more or less stable.

--
Thanks,
Laura Vance