httpd-users mailing list archives

From Laura Vance <van...@winfreeacademy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Hacked ? /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL ?
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:33:01 GMT
A system that I administer was hacked last Easter.  It had been hacked
twice before that, and I was replacing the software that I thought was
the culprit, until I found after the Easter hack that something that I
didn't think about was the problem.

The apache logs showed bad SSL handshake attempts.  It had 30 to 100 in
rapid succession.  I realized that it wasn't a flaw in apache that was
being hacked, but a flaw in the SSL engine that was being exploited.  I
upgraded to OpenSSL version 0.9.7d, and I haven't been hacked since
(knock on wood).  I think there's an even newer version of OpenSSL out,
but I haven't checked to see if it addresses security holes or features.

I can't say if this is what happened to you, but it's something to check.

Also, like everyone else said, look for unusual files in /tmp/ /var/tmp/
and /usr/tmp/  That seems to be where all of the bad stuff sets itself
up.  Keep an eye on your system security checks for world writable
files, because the hacker files are always world writable.

Good Luck

mailarch@xy1.org wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I run an Apache/1.3.29 (Debian GNU/Linux) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a PHP/4.3.3 mod_ssl/2.8.16
OpenSSL/0.9.7c.

--
Thanks,
Laura Vance