httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ivan Barrera A." <Br...@Ivn.cl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Reproducible silent Apache 2.0.48 crash with mod_rewrite and PHP 4.3.9
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:08:50 GMT
I think i heard that php is thread safe.. but some of its modules arent

Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV wrote:
> AFAIK you cannot use the MPM worker with PHP since PHP is not thread safe.
>
> You need to recompile with MPM prefork.
>
> -ascs

There are still a couple a couple 'httpd' entries when running ps -A, but no Web page is being
served.  There are no errors in error_log.

> Some details:
> - Redhat 9.0 server with Apache 2.0.48, PHP 4.3.9, MySQL 4.0.20
> - mod_rewrite and mod_ssl are enabled.
> - The crash happens even if no SSL pages are requested at all
> - There are a lot of mod_rewrite rules (probably around 60 or so)..
> - the box is a low-end development server with 256 MB of RAM.
> - lots of disk space available on the box
> - the site is protected with .htaccess (in case this would make a difference).
> - MySQL is still running properly (can be accessed from the command
> line) after Apache crashes
> - both Apache and PHP were compiled from source
>
> HOW TO REPRODUCE THE CRASH:
> - Browse the site after starting the server, and it will crash within
> 1 or 2 minutes.
> The pages being browsed have mod_rewrite rules such as this:
>
> RewriteRule   ^/(public)?/?business-directory/([^\+/-]+)\+?([^\+/-]*)/?$
>  /busdir_category.php?public=$1&categoryid=$2&page=$3 [L]
>
> It seems like the crash occurs more frequently when user clicks on a link while the previous
page has not finished to load.

> Apache was built with the following options:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --enable-module=so --enable-rewrite --enable-ssl
--with-ssl=/usr/bin --with-mpm=worker

> PHP was built with the following options:
> ./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --disable-debug --disable-cgi --enable-gd-native-ttf
--enable-ftp --enable-inline-optimization --enable-magic-quotes --enable-mm=shared --enable-safe-mode
--enable-track-vars --enable-xml --with-curl --with-gd --with-jpeg-dir=/usr
> --with-freetype-dir=/usr/include/freetype2
> --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql --with-openssl --with-png-dir=/usr --with-ttf --with-xml
--with-zlib-dir=/usr/include

> Does anyone has suggestions on how to debug this or things to try?
> If Apache starts properly, is it possible than the mod_rewrite rules are written improperly
and would cause to loop/crash the machine?