httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Processing PHP with HTM Pages
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:26:03 GMT
Some time ago, I wrecked my Microshaft
FrontPage-constructed website when I moved it from a
Microsoft to a Linux server. Some of the folder/page
names and hyperlinks included capital letters, and I
didn't realize everything has to be lowercase on Linux
servers.

However, I've been told that there is a way to process
PHP on pages with .htm extensions, and I think it
involves Apache. Can someone tell me how to do this?
Can you refer me to a tutorial?

Also, if I can accomplish this, is there also a way to
modify a site with Apache (or some PHP script) so that
capital letters are translated as lowercase? For
example, imagine the following links and targets:

www.mysite.com/Horses >>> Horses/index.htm
www.mysite.com/deer >>> mammals/Deer.htm
www.mysite.com/Mammals/deer >>> mammals/deer.htm

I'd like to somehow rig it so that all of these links
would be transformed into lowercase, and all the pages
they link to would display, preferably with lowercase
letters in the browser window.

I'm reluctant to rename any of my folders or pages, as
I fear that might mess up things with the search
engines that have spidered my site. Besides, I don't
want to put too much time into this site, as I'm
downsizing it, slowly replacing it with a series of
new websites. But I'd like try to make the remaining
site function until I'm ready to officially close it.

Thanks.