httpd-users mailing list archives

From Markus Mayer <mymailli...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache2 chrooted on Solaris
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:58:44 GMT
Thanks for your response.

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 12:42, Alexander Stoll wrote:
> It lloks like you have NOT a sane chroot enviroment... remember, you cannot
> access a socket in /tmp when chrootet to /jail  - it has to be
> /jail/tmp/socketfile as an example...

Correct (about the tmp/socket...), and this is known to me.  I had already
created a tmp with the t flag in the chroot jail.  Typo3, which is to run in
the apache chroot jail, seems not to be able to connect regardless of if I
put in localhost or the fqdn of the machine.  Or have i missed something
here?

> Check the availability of the offending libraries as the chrootet user your
> running apache with, make a su and chroot to /jail and test it one by one.

All libraries were copied into the chroot environment from the system, and
were identified by using ldd on the executables and all subsequent identified
necessary libraries.  Everything is already be present, which is why I don't
understand the error messages about missing libraries.  All libraries
mentioned in the error messages are in the chroot jail at their locations.

> If all is sane, a script which checks and compares this environment with
> global system files is extremely helpful when upgrading the system...

Useful, but in this case it's no upgrade, it's a new installation.  The
machine has been here about 6 weeks, the latest patch cluster applied, and
then the necessary software packages installed or built.  For what ever
reason, when apache tries to fork off the child processes, the child
processes seem to not find the libraries.  When I start it with the -X
argument, it runs happily and serves pages.

I've been able to get apache chrooted on Linux and AIX, but for some reason
achieving it on Solaris illudes me :-(

Regards
Markus