httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Need a Virtual Host Refresher Course
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 05:31:02 GMT
About six months ago, I downloaded and installed a
preconfigured package (Apache, PHP & MySQL) from
Apache Friends (XAMPP) and learned how to create
virtual hosts. About a week ago, I had a nasty
computer crash, and I'm now reinstalling all my
software and programs.

I downloaded the latest XAMPP, which has been
upgraded. I'm now ready to set up virtual hosts again,
but I need to refresh my memory.

First, am I going to run into problems if Apache 2 and
IIS are both running on my computer?

Second, I ran into a few problems with paths last
time. As I recall, you're suppposed to put your
websites inside the Apache folder, or something like
that. But I wanted to keep them separate. Thus, my
websites are at C:\sites, while Apache is at
C:\apachefriends\xampp\apache, so I had to copy some
folders from XAMPP and move them into my sites folder,
if I rembember correctly.

At any rate, I just wondered if there's a way to leave
my Apache folder and websites right where they are -
in separate folders - and still set up virtual hosts.

Finally, I wondered if anyone can recommend a good
virtual hosts tutorial. As I recall, I had to search a
while before I found one. (I'm using Windows XP and
will be working with Dreamweaver.)

If I remember correctly, the process was actually
pretty simple. I think I just modified Apache's conf
file, pasted the htdocs folder inside C:\sites with my
websites, then restarted my computer. Does that sound
about right?

Below is an example of what my virtual hosts looked
like with my original XAMPP/Apache installation:

NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
ServerAdmin admin@localhost
DocumentRoot "c:/sites"
ServerName localhost
ErrorLog logs/localhost_error.log
CustomLog logs/localhost_access.log common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
ServerAdmin webmaster@htdocs
DocumentRoot "c:/sites/htdocs"
ServerName htdocs
ServerAlias *.htdocs
ErrorLog logs/geobop-error.log
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "c:/sites/htdocs/cgi-bin/"
<Directory "c:/sites/htdocs">
Options All Includes Indexes
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
ServerAdmin webmaster@geobop
DocumentRoot "c:/sites/geobop"
ServerName geobop
ServerAlias *.geobop
ErrorLog logs/geobop-error.log
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "c:/sites/geobop/cgi-bin/"
<Directory "c:/sites/geobop">
Options All Includes Indexes
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>