httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Anthony G. Atkielski" <anth...@atkielski.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Favorite Linux Distribution
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:28:14 GMT
Jean-Marc Lachaine writes:

> My last suggestion depends on if you have a few bucks to spare. If you do
> the ultimate solution for a transition from Windows to a *NIX based system
> is to get a Mac with OSX. I have gone that way for my personal development
> workstation at home and well  ... "Once you do Mac you never go back!"
> (again MHO)

Note that servers and desktops are two very different things.  The same
OS cannot fill both functions well.  You have to decide which you want
to emphasize and go with that.

UNIX is traditionally a server operating system, and that is still where
it shines.  Windows and the Mac are desktop operating systems.  Mac OS X
has UNIX underpinnings, but it has been modified almost beyond
recognition in order to support a desktop GUI and I don't know that I'd
feel too sanguine about running it as a server (although it would be
probably be a better choice than Windows, if you really _must_ run a
GUI-oriented OS as a server).

I run FreeBSD with no GUI at all.  I don't need the security or
performance headaches of supporting pretty pictures on the screen.  I do
all work with SSH terminal sessions and FTP (connected from my Windows
desktop), and that works beautifully.  No need for a GUI or X servers or
clients on the FreeBSD machine.