httpd-users mailing list archives

From Robby Russell <ro...@planetargon.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] What is the best way to run multiple instances of apache on one unix server.
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:00:36 GMT
On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 10:45 -0600, Subramani, GnanaShekar (GE
Healthcare, non-ge) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the best way to run multiple instances of apache on one unix server.
>
> Requirement:  We have two mount points /apps and /data.  We want to build and install
apache once in /apps.  For each instance of apache we want to keep its configuration and startup
files in /data (for example /data/bronze, /data/silver, /data/gold etc) and run from there.
 We will assign a Virtual IP for each apache instance and run on port 80.

You can run many instances parallel to each other.
For example, in our hosting environment, we run mutliple versions with
different php installations. (5.x and 4.x). If the client doesn't have
their own IP address (using a shared ip) and require PHP5, we use
ProxyPass to push their content through port 80 to the client..however
their site is technically running on another apache instance on port
8080. We do the same similar thing for installations of zope and ruby on
rails.

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby@planetargon.com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development
* --- Now hosting Ruby on Rails Apps ---