httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Need a Virtual Host Refresher Course
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:57:11 GMT
> "David Blomstrom" <david_blomstrom@yahoo.com>;  2005-02-09@12:24 GMT-5
>
> Wow, thanks so much for all the tips; you practically
> wrote a book! Just to clarify a couple things, if I
> add all these extra folders to each site...cgi-bin,
> logs, private, /public_html/ and ssl...
>
>> C:/sites/site1/cgi-bin
>> C:/sites/site1/logs
>> C:/sites/site1/private
>> C:/sites/site1/public_html
>> C:/sites/site1/ssl
>
> ...then I'm actually going to put all my content
> inside /public_html/, right? Wil I need to put
> anything inside the other folders (cgi_bin), or are
> they just there as placeholders of sorts? Do I need to
> publish them to the Internet?

Oh, no.  You it's as an example, in case you do happen to need it.  If
you already have some CGI program that is located in /cgi-bin/ on the
site, then yes.  If it's located in /script/, then you just change all
the times I said "cgi-bin" to "scripts".  It's just the structure I was
trying to outline.  You should check your source for the sites.  If it's
PHP, it depends how you run PHP, but if for example it's a module
(probably the most common on Windows) then you probably need no cgi-bin
or ScriptAlias or anything.  I always try the least, and then add what I
need if something is noisy.  ;-)  Same with ssl, private, and so on.
public_html is just the name I am used to from Unix, out of habit.  I
already know it's HTML, and not all HTML, often other things, so I just
call it "public" now.  But the name doesn't matter at all.  What matters
is that you change the conf file to match your folder name.  ;-)

Leif