httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Parallel Downloads - Apache 2
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 00:07:12 GMT
> dmaloy@provide.net; 2005-02-06@15:55 GMT-5
>
> I have a web-based application running on 2.0.49 that I
> would like to configure so that a user can download more
> than one file at the same time.  Right now, a user selects
> a download link for a file, and then clicks on another one,
> but the second one doesn't start until the first one is
> completely finished.  Is there a way to do this in Apache
> or do I need to have more than one webserver to support
> multiple download requests in parallel?

If you think about it, the server does this implicitly, when it handles
multiple requests in parallel.  It's maybe a matter of the client that
you use?  I use Firefox which has a meagre download manager.  I can use
IE or a P2P app with an HTTP plugin.  Client is irrelevant, so long as
it doesn't block parallel requests.  There may be a configurable
resource limit somewhere which allows for only one or two simultaneous
or parallel connections to a uniquely identified client, as it is common
for me to hit sites that allow only one active download, but it's often
2-4.  I remember old Netscape 3 browser had an option to limit the
number of parallel downloads (from all sites combined), due to slow
modem speeds, and that was often 4.  Now it's the other way around,
where most clients have fast download speeds and can easily hog a
server, so the burden falls to the server.  It may also be that the web
page needs to be redesigned to not lock up when a download is in
progress.  If you want the user to upload to the server as opposed to
download from the server, that's something different.  In any case, it
will lock up something at some point, so one technique may be to pass
off the upload to an invisible layer on the page, so only that layer is
locked, not the rest of the page.

Leif