httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Too bad errorlog is not customizable
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:13:54 GMT
> "Artem Kuchin" <postmaster@jail1.itlegion.ru>; 2005-02-05@04:39 GMT-5
>
> and that's why it is too bad that error log
> is not customizable. I have server behind proxy
> and using %{X-FORDWARED-FOR}i i can
> put real client ip into access log, but error log
> always print proxy ip in error messages like
> [client: %s]. So, the only way to get rid of it is to comment out
> somelines in server/log.c source
> file. But that a bad practice, i guess, to patch a
> source. Any idea what to do?

I have also wondered why there's no ability to configure a custom error
log string.  If you want to pursue this, I'd suggest that you go to
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/ and search for bug reports, feautre
requests or enhancements of a similar nature.  The question may have
been discussed before.  Try to understand any pros and cons, and the
arguments made in favor or against such a feature.  If you repeat the
same pro-argument you'll probably get the same con-response.  So you
would need to make a stronger (logical, convicing, persuasive) argument
than all previous.  You will usually get more response if you have
demonstrated good understanding of pros and cons and actually patched
the code and added this feature.  With a patch you can also announce on
the dev list and ask for tests and comments.

Leif