httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jean-Marc Lachaine" <jmjml...@tbaytel.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Favorite Linux Distribution
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2005 14:41:51 GMT
I have read through the many posts responding to this question and have
decided to venture my opinion, from one old Windoze user to another.

I have been working on learning the Linux way for a few years and have tried
a number of distros. All have their pros and cons but in the end I have been
sticking to the *NIX that has the best documentation (IMHO). It's not LINUX
though. I would agree with those that recommend FreeBSD. The transition from
M$ to it is made all the easier by the excellent manual. Installs have been
a learning experience since you need to refer to the manual to get X11
configured however, base installs have been a snap on machines ranging from
old P200 pros to dual 2.8 Xeons. I have yet to have had a hardware
recognition problem except on an old alpha based box using the 5.x series in
Beta.

I have no experience with notebooks and my experiences with dual booting
(tried with both RH6 and RH7 + NT4) was less than satisfactory until I put
both a SCSI and IDE in an old P350 box that supported alternate boot options
from bios. Then I kept NT away from my RH drive and everything worked fine.
I guess my point is that though it would appear that many people have had
good success with dual booting, make sure you keep regular backups of
anything important cause you could easily be reminded of the early Win95
days.

My last suggestion depends on if you have a few bucks to spare. If you do
the ultimate solution for a transition from Windows to a *NIX based system
is to get a Mac with OSX. I have gone that way for my personal development
workstation at home and well  ... "Once you do Mac you never go back!"
(again MHO)

Best of luck.
JM