httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] strategies to decrease responsetime?
Date Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:00:29 GMT
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 23:08:02 +0100, peter pilsl <pilsl@goldfisch.at> wrote:
> I spend quite a time to optimize our template-system that dynamically
> generates the webcontent only to discover that the maintime is spend on
>
> If I time the downloadtime of the webpage itself, its approx. 500ms on a
> 2MBit-line. The whole page with all the static content (stylesheet and
> images) takes approx. 3s. (timing with wget)
>
> The images itself are very small but there are 25 of it on this page, so
> the responsetime adds up.
>
> How can I actually time the responsetime and the downloadtime and which
> ways would there be to reduce the responsetime.
> Would it help to use a ramdisk for the images?

I'd start by tracing the client-server connection to try to see where
the delay is coming from.  Are keep-alives/persistent connections
being used?

You should also check to make sure that sendfile is getting used to
deliver the static files.

But overall, how fast you can deliver 25+ items over the internet is
going to depend on the latency of the connection.

Joshua.