httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Mod_mem_cache
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:45:13 GMT
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:53:55 -0800, wnorth <wnorth@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> New to the group but trying to get the mod_mem_cache module to work. What
> I've noticed is that it seems caching is working but performance on our site
> is worse with the caching servers in place. All we are caching is .gif .bmp
> and .jpg files. We use an F5 bigip load balancer in front of the web servers
> and have configured the irules to direct all uri requests that end in either
> .gif .bmp or .jpg to use the Apache servers running apache 2.0 with the
> mod_mem_cache module enabled. If you could review the following httpd.conf
> and let me know if I am doing something wrong, or offer suggestions that
> would be greatly appreciated. In particular here is the config for the
> caching module:

Please don't post your entire httpd.conf.  Just the parts the you
think are relevant will do fine.

First question: why are you using mod_mem_cache in the first place?
I'm not at all surprised that mod_mem_cache would slow down the
sending of static files.  Apache's core handler will, if your OS
supports it, use zero-copy sendfile to pass off all the hard work to
the OS when sending static files.  The OS does its own caching, and
can often deliver stuff much faster than apache could.

Memory caching would really only be useful for dynamic content that
takes a long time to generate but doesn't change frequently.  And some
people believe that even this would be better handled with
mod_disk_cache, since that again allows the OS to help out.

You may have more luck caching file-descriptors with mod_mem_cache; see:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_cache.html#cacheenable

Joshua.