httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_status usage, identifying memory leaks
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:30:19 GMT
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:21:33 -0800, Roger Harrell
<roger@audiblefaith.com> wrote:
> > Trouble is the PID is for the child process so it can server a lot of
> >> requests, so that PID will be associated with many different scripts.
> >> This is the same trouble I'm having with mod_status. Am I missing something?
> >

> > No, but it shouldn't be hard to narrow it down if you are seeing the
> > problem relatively frequently.
>
> Well, that's the thing. It does not happen frequently. It will occur
> over a 3 hour period once a week or so. There does not seem to be any
> unusual patterns in access_log. This is a pretty high traffic site
> (5,000+ visitors per day) so it's tough to isolate anything in the log
> files.

There are no magic tricks here.  It would be nice if it was possible
for apache to log the process size, but I don't think that is an easy
thing to do.  So have a cron job dump a listing of processes and
memory usage to disk every minute, then you can find the exact time
and process number and correlate it back to the log file.

Joshua.