httpd-users mailing list archives

From Giuseppe.Angile...@ct.infn.it
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Using several cgi-bin directories
Date Sat, 08 Jan 2005 07:54:05 GMT
Dear Leif,

first of all, thank you very much for your detailed answer, which I
enjoyed reading very much, and was helpful in many respects.

I had already tried all the suggestions you kindly gave to me (in fact,
the test.pl behaved well to several checks - ownerships, interactive
execution from shell, correct headers ... - and indeed it simply _worked_,
provided it was placed in /var/www/cgi-bin (or /var/www/cgi-bin2, with
appropriate entries in httpd.conf).

> correct to me (with the addition of Options ExecCGI), but I would not exclude
> the possibility that something does not seem right to Apache (either with or
> without good reasons which I don't understand at the moment), as evidenced by
> other non-hierarchical ScriptAlias locations apparently working.  I have in

That was it.

>From another mailing list (related to the collection of scripts I would
actually like to execute - Koha, an opensource system for library
maintanance, http://www.koha.org) I have just received the answer to my
problem.

I "simply" had to disable the SELinux protection for the httpd daemon.
(Same for the mysqld daemon, but that was not present in my FC3 standard
configuration.)

I didn't have SELinux in RedHat 9.0, so I wasn't even aware of its
existence.

You see, Koha usually installs under /usr/local/koha, and with appropriate
definitions in httpd.conf, all scripts located under that path do work as
expected. Evidently, SELinux prevented them to be executed. Same for any
other script - that's why I talked about test.pl (I tried to simplify my
problem for the scopes of the users-httpd list).

I wonder whether a scratch-new installation of Koha under /var/www/koha,
say, would have been working as well, without having to disable SELinux
protection.

In fact, I had similar problems under Mandrake 10.1, and I haven't tried
yet whether there's any SELinux entry to disable there as well ...

Many thanks again, Leif. Now that everything works, there remains to
understand _why_ it is working. While I browse the Internet for SELinux
and its interaction with httpd, I would of course welcome any advice from
you and anyone else on this list.

Best regards,

Giuseppe.