httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: High performance apache logging
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:33:00 GMT
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Josh Wyatt wrote:

> There are a fair number of processes; I will have to get back to you on
> specifics.  We get probably 1 million hits per day per server; and 90% of those
> are between 7am and 5pm.  Generally about 25-30 reqs/second.

Logging of 25-30 hits per second is nothing.  My old 1996 Pentium desktop
will comfortably run - and of course log - several hundred (static) hits
per second.

Which leads me to suppose logging is unlikely to be your bottleneck.

> These are IBM blade servers.  They each have dual 146GB 10k RPM disks in
> hardware RAID1. Each server has dual 3.2ghz xeon CPUs, and 4GB memory.  There
> are 4 servers.  We're running RedHat AS 2.1, and Oracle's apache (a 1.3.x
> derivative).

The name Oracle is usually associated with a heavyweight backend, which
sounds a much more likely culprit.

> One thing of note, they all run SSL.  The ssl_session_cache is of type "dbm",
> and ssl_mutex is of type "file".  I have also considered that there could be
> contention on these files as well.

Hmmm.  That's certainly an overhead, though I don't really think it
very likely to cause the symptoms.

Based on the above, an upgrade to Apache 2 with the Worker MPM and
database connection pooling would seem an obvious improvement here.

--
Nick Kew