httpd-users mailing list archives

From mmcken...@unmc.edu
Subject RE: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:13:29 GMT
www.unmc.edu and www.citymatch.org both have real ips

www.unmc.edu = 192.198.54.11

www.citymatch.org = 192.198.54.28

The load balancer analyzes the real ip and associates each ip with a
server pool.

let's say we have a server pool called unmc-public-websites

in the pool we have the ips 192.198.54.11 and 192.198.54.28

each one of the three webservers behind the load balancer have their own
vpn ip address.

mirror1 = 192.168.1.11
mirror2 = 192.168.1.12
mirror3 = 192.168.1.13

these ips are associated with the pool as well.

each mirror server is listening on port 80 and 8009

The server uses a round robin approach to distributing the requests.

If we get a request for www.unmc.edu the loadbalancer sees that the ip for
that dns is 192.198.54.11
the loadbalancer look for a pool containing 192.198.54.11 for port 80
it finds the unmc-public-websites pool and sends the request to one of the
mirror boxes on port 80

the same happens for www.citymatch.org only it sends the request to one of
the mirror boxes on port 8009

Mitchell S. McKenzie
Programmer
Learning Environment & Internet Services
University of Nebraska Medical Center
Phone: 402-559-9306
Cell Phone: 402-708-1493

University of Nebraska Medical Center E-mail Confidentiality Disclaimer :
The information in this e-mail is privileged and confidential, intended
only for the use of the addressee(s) above.
Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this information is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail by mistake please delete it and
immediately contact the sender.

PMilanese@nypl.org
01/27/2005 12:48 PM
Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

users@httpd.apache.org
cc

Subject
RE: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite

Ah.. The backend is port split..

I run with vhosts… that’s the difference….

How does your load balancer know what site it’s getting? Are they going to
different real IPs?

Learning Environment & Internet Services
University of Nebraska Medical Center
Phone: 402-559-9306
Cell Phone: 402-708-1493

University of Nebraska Medical Center E-mail Confidentiality Disclaimer :
The information in this e-mail is privileged and confidential, intended
only for the use of the addressee(s) above.
Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this information is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail by mistake please delete it and
immediately contact the sender.

PMilanese@nypl.org
01/27/2005 12:26 PM

Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

users@httpd.apache.org
cc

Subject
RE: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite

Did you try that without the [R]?

Learning Environment & Internet Services
University of Nebraska Medical Center
Phone: 402-559-9306
Cell Phone: 402-708-1493

University of Nebraska Medical Center E-mail Confidentiality Disclaimer :
The information in this e-mail is privileged and confidential, intended
only for the use of the addressee(s) above.
Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this information is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail by mistake please delete it and
immediately contact the sender.

PMilanese@nypl.org
01/27/2005 10:48 AM

Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

users@httpd.apache.org, apache-modules@covalent.net
cc

Subject
RE: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite

Use a fully qualified URL for the rewrite.

RewriteRule ^foo$         http://blah.com/foo/ [R]

I have a farm and many many rewrites, and this works.