httpd-users mailing list archives

From mmcken...@unmc.edu
Subject RE: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:02:10 GMT
We have 2 different dns entries: www.citymatch.org and www.unmc.edu
therefore, we need two different ip addressess.

How does the loadbalancer know which website to send if both dns entries
run off of the same ip?

We are using virtual hosts in apache.  The main difference between me and
you is that we have personal dns requests from some of our departments.

The www.unmc.edu site is fine because it is on port 80.

PMilanese@nypl.org
01/28/2005 06:35 AM
Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

users@httpd.apache.org, mmckenzie@unmc.edu
cc

Subject
RE: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite

Seems the issue may be with how the mod handles the rewrite. Seems
strange.

Is there any particular reason why you went this route instead of virtual
hosts in apache?

In my scenario, I have 2 load balancers (hot spare) passing to a farm. The
farm is setup with virtualhosts on each real server. I have one ‘live’ VIP
and one ‘dev’ VIP. The live IP handles all production web traffic.
Essentially, the main website and about 30 others. The dev IP handles
development and staging, and also passes FTP access internally.
Performance wise, it has been non-issue. All I do to add a new site is put
in the vhost on apache, and CNAME the FQDN to the VIP.

BTW, if 54.28 has a real IP, why not run the server on 80? Are there other
requirements?