httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache always dies.
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:49:39 GMT

I think your basic problem is that you're using a non-standard utility to control apache.
However, I guess this is what came with suse 9.0... Have a look inside /etc/init.d/apache
and see what it does. For example, "reload" is not a valid argument to the standard apachectl
script that comes with apache. My guess is that it is equivalent to apachectl graceful".

- Figure out what argument causes a "kill $PID" where $PID is the process id of the parent
apache process. This id is stored in httpd.pid
- execute the control script with this argument
- check apache has gone away (use ps)
- find the argument that executes $HTTPD (ie, /usr/sbin/httpd -f /etc/httpd/httpd.conf)
- execute the control script with this argument
- check apache has come back (use ps)

If still probs, check the error_log. This time you should have something...

I'm guessing that the failure to start was because you were trying to do a graceful restart
but that apache wasn't already running.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle