httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Authentication Problems
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:58:52 GMT

I think I see the problem...

The 403 is occurring because you have neither an index.html in the
target directory nor have you allowed directory browsing (that's fine -
just means you can't use URLs like http://tor-bay.co.uk/admin/).

The link above works because you explicitly include the admin.php in the
URL.

I don't know why the .htaccess fails... need to see the .htaccess. It is
the *most* important thing in an authentication scheme so forgive me for
being a pest and wanting to see it. I know you're *sure* it is correct,
and maybe it is, but if you were me, would you believe you?

One thing I really don't understand is that you complain you get a 401
when you try to access the page with .htaccess on. You are accessing via
a browser, aren't you? And not via wget or telnet or something... tell
me you ain't....

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> I will post the .htaccess when i get home if you like. But I
> have been
> over it hundreds of times. I even copied most of it from the
> apache docs
> incase of stupid mistakes (I do make a lot of them).
>
> Thanks for looking
> Alan

views of the sender's company.