httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Authentication Problems
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:16:35 GMT

Here's my input based on your initial post:

- In httpd.conf you have "AllowOverride All" globally which is fine,
this allows .htaccess to work anywhere... except where you disable it
with "AllowOverride None" in /var/www/icons,manual,cgi-bin and error. So
that's OK (I assume your protected directory is not in any of these).

- It would be nice to see your .htaccess to check you have the syntax
right [the fact it "works" in another server is not proof: the other
server might have authentication set up in its config file and it only
looks like the .htaccess file works]. Nevertheless, let's assume it
works anyway.

- When I try the link to http://tor-bay.co.uk/admin/, I get 403
Forbidden. That means that /admin is not in the webspace or does not
have an Allow directive. In your config, you have:

DocumentRoot /home/httpd/vhosts/default/httpsdocs

but the only directories containing an "Allow from" are under /var/www.
So nothing at all should be accessible on your site. However, it is, so
all the other allows must be in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.include (which
unfortunately you don't share with us).

So I can't tell whether or not you've set up
/home/httpd/vhosts/default/httpsdocs/admin to be accessible.

- Your error log doesn't contain a single "access denied by server
config", yet this is exactly the message you get for a 403. So is it the
right error log? Or did you never get a 403 (you complain only of 401s)

So I'm a bit confused. Anyway, try the following tests:

- Switch off the password protection (move away .htaccess) to
http://tor-bay.co.uk/admin/. Now try to access it - do you get in? If
403, you haven't enabled access: Check your Allow from directives in
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.include.

- When you get plain access working, switch back on password protection
and try again while tailing the error log (eg, tail -f error_log). Does
it work? If, not what error message do you get?

- Are you sure that the path to the password file is correct?

- what does /admin contain? It should at least an index.html file so
that it can display something... (it might be you're getting in but
there's no content to display).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

NB - don't mix up access control (Allow, Deny etc.) with password
protection (Auth directives). They are closely linked and even overlap
slightly, but they're two distinct mechanisms.

> Other directives in .htaccess files seem to work ok. Just not
> authentication!
>
> I do get some errors in the logs but nothing I understand! (see below)
>
> The server is only a week only RH9 running
> httpd      2.0.40-21.17.legacy
> php      4.3.10-1.rh90.art
> mod_python      3.0.1-4
> mod_perl      1.99_07-5
> perl-Apache-ASP      2.57-rh9.build75041216.14
>
> I am not that hot on *nix stuff and this has really got me
> stumped. The
> syntax of the .htaccess files are correct as they work when moved to
> other servers (with path changes obviously)
>
> I have posted a copy of my conf file here if anyone wants to
> take a look
> http://tor-bay.co.uk/httpd_conf.txt
>
> Here is the error log (not live)
> http://tor-bay.co.uk/error_log.txt
>
> The directory I am trying to protect is
> http://tor-bay.co.uk/admin/
>
> The server php info page can be seen here if needed
> http://hosting-reserve.co.uk/info.php
>
> There are no errors logged (debug) when accessing the page
> that should
> be protected except 404 (error page not found) in the domain
> log. Server
> log shows errors when I restart apache (see end of log file
> for latest
> restart)
>
> I have googled for the past two days with no luck. Hope
> someone has some
> ideas. I did check with the plesk support team but they
> assure me it can
> not be a plesk problem as plesk does not change or interfere
> with apache
> in any way. The did suggest it may be a permissions problem but they
> look correct.
>
> When you look at the httpd_conf.txt file you will see some of the
> modules have been commented out. That was me, they were all
> live. I have
> just been trying to comment things out to see if that helps.
>
> I don't have much of a clue about re-compiling programs etc on RH9 so
> please keep it simple for me if you do have any ideas :)
>
> Thanks in advance
> Alan

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.