httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hilton <jeremy-l...@adtcs.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Spreading configuration on multiple host - best practize
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:37:29 GMT
On 1/31/05 5:08 PM, "dan" <info@hostinthebox.net> wrote:

> Harald Falkenberg wrote:
>> Hallo,
>>
>> I'm looking for a reliable method to spread a set of apache config files
>> on multiple unix systems, so that they are always using the same
>> configuration.
>>
>> Which tools/software/methods are useful for such a task?
>>
>> Any hint is welcome
>>
>> Bye
>> Harald
>>

> I have done, and would suggest again, NFS.
>
> Keeping centralized data on backend servers, and having frontends that
> do the actual content hosting, over NFS in a secure manner works well.
>
> Thanks
> -dant

I would highly suggest using the suggested rsync method. I would however
suggest tunneling rsync over ssh. With this method, you can automate syncing
with cron and ssh auto-login keys. Plus all data is encrypted over the wire
:)

NFS can be easily misconfigured, allowing for unintentional security holes
in your systems. As a rule, I never allow any type of NFS mount on a
production server.