httpd-users mailing list archives

From Vik Rubenfeld <v...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Htaccess code to Deny Referrers Spam?
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:19:04 GMT
> Did you check if it matches if you remove the dash?

The dash is there for a specific reason; it is so as to be cautious about
which referrers are excluded. There might be some referrers with that string
of text included in a larger string, which I would like not to exclude. Note
that "poker-" is just one example; what I learn on this subject, I will use
with lots of different text strings.

>>> You've got a bunch of superfluous stuff there.  You could probably use just
>>> SetEnvIfNoCase Referer "poker-" BadReferer
>>
>> Isn't it necessary to use some sort of wildcard match to catch characters to
>> the right and left of the string, "poker-"?
>
> No.

Can you provide additional information? Compared to most people on this
list, I'm an Apache newbie. I have a weblog I'm seeking to maintain, and for
some reason information on doing what I'm trying to do with htaccess is not
easy to find.

> Have you tried it?  You'll get an answer much quicker if you test
> stuff yourself rather than sending an email to the list.

I don't think that's quite accurate. I may have to wait many days, to get
that specific referrer spam again.

-Vik